- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put a heavy skillet on the stove to warm up.
- Quarter & slice one medium red onion.
- Sauté the onion in about 3 Tbsp. bacon lard at least until translucent if not until caramelized.
- Stir together:
- the onions,
- 2 28 oz cans of Bush’s vegetarian baked beans,
- ¼ c. ketchup,
- ¼ c. brown sugar,
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, and
- 2 Tbsp. prepared mustard.
- Bake in a 9 x 13 pan for 90-105 minutes at 350°F.
- If everyone can eat meat, this would be the time to cover with about ¾ lb. of crisped & crumbled bacon.
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Tuesday, July 07, 2015
The basis for this recipe appears on p. 392 of our 1981 edition of the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. Since SWMBO can not digest muscle protein, we do not put actual bacon in it, and we start with vegetarian pork & beans. Also, our proportions are a bit different. Here is what we did for Sunday brunch last weekend:
Posted by St. Izzy at 7.7.15