This recipe makes approximately 2250 ml. of beverage. That’s 3 of those 750 ml. bottles, and if you do point-of-use recycling on that vodka bottle, you only need two more bottles. I prefer these bottles. Or these. (If you use these, you also get the pleasure of emptying the bottles first. ;^) )
- In a large saucepan, combine 32 oz. dark brown sugar (4 c.) and 3 c. water.
- Stirring, bring to a boil (Warning! this will boil up into a messy foam in no time flat. DO not turn your back on it!), then turn down the heat and
- let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Set it aside covered to cool (the cover is to keep things off the syrup you’ve just made).
- In a 1 or 1 & 1/2 qt. pan, bring 1 c. water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add 2 oz. of instant espresso (1 small jar) and stir briskly. (Warning! this will boil up into a messy foam in no time flat. Keep stirring until it quits trying to foam up.)
- Add the condensed espresso to the syrup & stir. Recover & let stand & cool.
- When cool, add 2 Tbsp. vanilla and 1 750 ml. bottle of vodka. Stir and transfer to bottles.
- Let stand for three weeks before enjoying.
I have to say that I like this version more than the regular stuff. It’s a darker, richer flavor.