Friday, December 18, 2009

Marinated Cheese

For years we’ve been after my first boss in SC (Jeffita) to share her recipe for a marinated cheese recipe. Tonight, as Christmas presents, she handed out copies to people as we left the departmental[1] Christmas gathering. Along with a double-sided color copy of the original Southern Living recipe (linked to the title of this post, but with a 1990 date and a Recipe-PakTM number 5305B-11, Appetizers & Beverages 7) were her hand-written changes. I'm going to attempt to make a single recipe out of the original and her notes together.


Chill for slicing:
  • 2 8 oz. pkgs. cheddar cheese (5.5 x 2 x 1")
  • 2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese (original recipe calls for 3, but I only ever use the two)
Combine in a jar, shake vigorously, and set aside:
  • 1 c. olive oil
  • 1 c. white wine vinegar
  • ½ c. minced green onions or chives
  • 6-8 cloves garlic
  • ½ c. chopped fresh parsley
  • ¼ c. minced fresh basil
  • 8 oz. pimento from jar(s), drained
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 ½ t. salt
  • 1 t. ground fresh pepper
When the cheese is well-chilled, cut the cheddar blocks in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4" thick slices. Set aside. Slice the cream cheese similarly (& into similarly-sized pieces). Arrange the cheese in alternating slices of cheddar and cream cheese standing on edge in a shallow baking dish. Pour marinade over cheese slices, cover, and let stand in refrigerator for at least eight hours.

Transfer cheese slices to a serving platter in the same alternating fashion, reserving marinade. Spoon marinade over cheese slices. Garnish with fresh parsley sprigs. Serve with crackers.




[1] I should mention that Jeffita is/was the head of my old department, the public school job I had when I first came to SC. They still ask me to join them for gatherings (surely a good sign, although I think they’re definitely disappointed when SWMBO can’t make it). How fortunate am I to have had two sets of co-workers whose company I enjoy and who aren’t completely put off by my anti-social tendencies?

No comments: