Saturday, August 14, 2021

History to We Are Still Married

 I honestly can’t believe that I have never blogged this. I had it as a FaceBook note for a long while (before FB decided that those couldn’t be monetized and shut them down), and before that it lived on a website curated by a Canadian OOGer. 

It has been 23 years now since Victoria sent her primal scream into the OOG list and I typed out a rushed response over my morning breakfast cereal. It has been over a decade since I posted this note on the eve-more-malevolent Book of Faces. In the interim, Victoria fell off a step-ladder while hanging decorations on their house, banged her head, and turned into an overly-large and overly-strong toddler for her husband (not recognized as such by her) to nurture. He’s doing the best he can, and their relationship is far different from anything either of them had ever imagined.

I still haven’t written anything more coherent, but have been told by many people over the years that this has been helpful. And now that Visage Codex has taken away the only method of long-form, thoughtful discourse they had, I find that I need to correct the absence of this essay from cyberspace. And this only so that I can share it easily.

14 Aug 2021 (during a pandemic)

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Intro to the now-lost note posted on Zuckerberg’s social medium platform:

The following was written in haste one morning almost ten years ago over breakfast before the morning commute in response to a heartfelt posting on an e-mail list.  I include here a portion of the original post followed by my somewhat disjointed reply.  Frankly, had I set out to write an essay on the topic, I would have made it more coherent.  The main reason I’m posting it here in its present form is that it seemed to touch a nerve with a lot of people on that list, many of whom (including a couple of pastors) asked for permission to pass it around.  I consider this a rough draft based on some things that SWMBO and I had been discussing that summer; had I known this post would have a life of it’s own, I would have put more thought into it and been more careful to footnote.  Some day I’ll write a more coherent essay, or at least post a similar set of ruminations from Fitz Allison’s The Cruelty of Heresy. http://www.amazon.com/Cruelty-Heresy-Affirmation-Christian-Orthodoxy/dp/0819215139/  But its heart is genuine, and it will have to do for now.

For those who worry about such things, I’ll just mention that Victoria and her husband are still together and have happily added to their family.

Sometime around 2008

No comments: